Sunday, July 31, 2011

Elder Wilkinson's Farewell Talk

My Purpose as a Missionary

Good morning brothers and sisters sorry but im a little confused (look over at bishopric)…was I asked to speak at a stake conference or something cause I thought this was a talk for a regular sacrament meeting… oh this IS a regular sacrament meeting? they all just came to listen to my talk? (look at congregation)did not know that I had this many friends or family…

I guess this isn’t quite the regular sacrament meeting because It is my last in this ward for awhile.  While I have been preparing for this day I have been pondering a few questions that I feel are very important to what I will be doing the next 2 years.  And those questions are the ones I would like to discuss today.

What is the gospel?
Why do we preach the gospel?
Why must I teach with power and authority?
What is the message of the Restoration? Why is it so important?
What is my responsibility in helping others become converted?
How will I know whether I am a successful missionary?
What is my purpose as a missionary?

What is the gospel?

What wonderful question this is. Many people talk about the gospel and the missionaries are called to preach the gospel but what exactly is the gospel.  I have found a wonderful answer in 3 Nephi  11 Which states…

                        31-Behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, I will declare unto you my doctrine(which represents the gospel).
                        32-And this is my doctrine, that the Father commandeth all men, everywhere, to repent and believe in me.
                        33-And whoso believeth in me, and is baptized, the same shall be saved; and they are they who shall inherit the kingdom of God.
                        41-Therefore, go forth unto this people, and declare the words which I have spoken, unto the ends of the earth.

As it states the purpose of the gospel is to cleanse people of their sins so they can receive the Savior’s mercy at the day of judgment.   As Individuals and families begin to follow Christ they exercise faith in Him and repent of their sins. They receive a remission of sins through baptism and by receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost from one who has authority from God to perform these ordinances. They then endure to the end, or, in other words, they continue throughout their lives in exercising faith in Jesus Christ, repenting, and renewing the covenants they have made. This is the basics of the gospel.

Why do we preach the gospel?

President Ezra Taft Benson taught: “We are commanded by God to take this gospel to all the world. That is the cause that must unite us today. Only the gospel will save the world from the calamity of its own self-destruction. Only the gospel will unite men of all races and nationalities in peace. Only the gospel will bring joy, happiness, and salvation to the human family”

The gospel not only helps us to see the eternal plan what we must do to return to live with our father in heaven, but it gives us the hope to push on through the trying times that all of us have in our lives.  I once remember a time where I was working on my bikes one sat as always do.  But this didn’t turn out to be one of those regular sat of working on my bikes.  After I fixed a few things on my bike I had to take it for a test run to make sure everything was running as it should.  So I jumped on and took off from the garage down the street.  Now a key piece of information that needs to be shared was the fact that this was my race bike.  This was different from my other bikes because not only do you put your feet on the pedals but I had special shoes that would allow me to clip my feet onto the pedals allowing me to gain more power which could be the difference between winning and losing.  But such a wonderful design concept this day became my enemy.  As rode down the street I decided to test my speed. As I pedaled and got faster and faster my awesome pedals became not so awesome and my right leg came unclipped and my leg came off the pedal and hit the handlebars and instantly I went over the handlebars onto my left shoulder.  As I got up and realized what had happened I grabbed my bike with my right arm and wheeled it into the garage and went inside and laid on the couch.  Later I found out that I had crushed my collar bone.  This came as tragic news because not only could I not bike anymore but I could not play football that upcoming season.  The night after I heard the news I lay in bed thinking, because I could not sleep due to the pain, about the next few months and what lay in store.  But what I did not know was how difficult it would be to sleep every night, to put a shirt on, to shower, to get to school.  All the normal everyday tasks now would take much longer and be much more difficult.  For the first couple weeks I wanted to know why I had to go through this. But as prayed for help I received an answer.  A peace came over me and I knew that everything would be ok.  As I continued on I found that I could stay happy even in this dark time in my life, knowing that in the end it would only make me a stronger and better person.  And it has brothers and sisters I know that that short difficult time that i went through has only prepared me for this time in my life.  For I know that this journey I am about to embark that there will be many times where It will be hard to find the strength to continue on but I now know that with the lords help I will be able to get through anything now matter what it be.  And I know that this applies to all of us.  Because god loves us and wants us to become as he is.  And that is why I am serving the lord by taking this message to the people of Peru because I know the joy that it has brought into my life.

Why must I teach with power and authority?

Because the gospel of Jesus Christ is the “power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth” as stated in Romans 1:16, the message of the Restoration of the gospel must be taught by divine power—the power of the Holy Ghost, who is the third member of the Godhead.  He is often called the Spirit, and one of His roles is to teach and testify of the truth.  As we teach by that power, the Holy Ghost will:

• Teach us new truths and bring the doctrines we have studied to our remembrance
• Give us words to speak in the very moment we need them
• Carry our message to the hearts of the people we teach
• Testify of the truthfulness of our message and confirm our words
• Help us discern the needs of the people we are teaching

As a missionary the Spirit is essential for teaching the truths of the gospel in a way that builds faith in others. We are asked to do the following to help teach with the spirit.

• Pray for the Spirit
• Purify our hearts
• Keep the commandments
• Diligently treasure up God’s word
• Exercise faith

What is the message of the Restoration? Why is it so important?

The restoration is the doctrine of the fullness of the gospel being restored through a modern prophet of the lord. The modern prophets in our dispensation have given us the following principles.

• God is our literal Father in Heaven. He loves us. Every person on earth is a child of God and a member of God’s family. Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is our Savior and Redeemer.
• Our loving Father in Heaven reached out to His children throughout biblical history by revealing His gospel to prophets.
• Our Father in Heaven sent His Beloved Son, Jesus Christ, to earth. He performed miracles and taught His gospel. He accomplished the Atonement and was resurrected.
• Beginning with the First Vision, God has again reached out in love to His children. He restored the gospel of Jesus Christ and His priesthood authority and organized His Church on the earth through the Prophet Joseph Smith. The Book of Mormon is convincing evidence of this Restoration.

The message of the restoration is important to us because we now have many new modern revelation given by prophets in our day that leads us and guides us on the strait and narrow path in times of a changing world.

What is my responsibility in helping others become converted?

I once heard a story which I believe illustrates exactly why the lord calls missionaries to preach his word.
Donut Story
There was a boy by the name of Steve who was attending Seminary.  This Seminary class was held during school hours just as ours are.  Brother Christianson taught Seminary at a particular school and had an open-door policy and would take in any student that had been thrown out of another class as long as they would abide by his rules. Steve had been kicked out of his sixth period and no other teacher wanted him, so he went into Brother Christianson's Seminary class.
           
Steve was told that he could not be late, so he arrived just seconds before the bell rang and he would sit in the very back of the room. He would also be the first to leave after the class was over.
           
One day, Brother Christianson asked Steve to stay after class so he could talk with him. After class, Bro. Christianson pulled Steve aside and said, "You think you're pretty tough, don't you?"
           
Steve's answer was, "Yeah, I do."
           
Then Brother Christianson asked, "How many push-ups can you do?"
           
Steve said, "I do about 200 every night."
           
“200? That's pretty good, Steve," Brother Christianson said. "Do you think you could do 300?"
           
Steve replied, "I don't know... I've never done 300 at a time."
           
"Do you think you could?" Again Brother Christianson asked.
           
"Well, I can try," said Steve.
           
"Can you do 300 in sets of 10? I need you to do 300 in sets of ten for this to work. Can you do it? I need you to tell me you can do it," Brother Christianson said.
           
Steve said, "Well... I think I can... yeah, I can do it."
           
Brother Christianson said, "Good! I need you to do this on Friday."
           
Friday came and Steve got to class early and sat in the front of the room. When class started, Brother Christianson pulled out a big box of donuts. Now these weren't the normal kinds of donuts, they were the extra fancy BIG kind, with cream centers and frosting swirls. Everyone was pretty excited-it was Friday, the last class of the day, and they were going to get an early start on the weekend.
           
Bro. Christianson went to the first girl in the first row and asked, "Cynthia, do you want a donut?"
           
Cynthia said, "Yes."
           
Bro. Christianson then turned to Steve and asked, "Steve, would you do ten push-ups so that Cynthia can have a donut?"
           
Steve said, "Sure," and jumped down from his desk to do a quick ten.
           
Then Steve again sat in his desk. Bro. Christianson put a donut on Cynthia's desk.
           
Bro. Christianson then went to Joe, the next person, and asked, "Joe do you want a donut?"
           
Joe said, "Yes." Bro. Christianson asked, "Steve would you do ten push-ups so Joe can have a donut?" Steve did ten push-ups, Joe got a donut.
           
And so it went, down the first aisle, Steve did ten pushups for every person before they got their donut. And down the second aisle, till Bro. Christianson came to Scott.
           
Scott was captain of the football team and center of the basketball team. He was very popular and never lacking for female companionship. When Bro. Christianson asked, "Scott do you want a donut?"
           
Scott's reply was, "Well, can I do my own pushups?"
           
Bro. Christianson said, "No, Steve has to do them."
           
Then Scott said, "Well, I don't want one then."
           
Bro. Christianson then turned to Steve and asked, "Steve, would you do ten pushups so Scott can have a donut he doesn't want?"
           
Steve started to do ten pushups. Scott said, "HEY! I said I didn't want one!"
           
Bro. Christianson said, "Look, this is my classroom, my class, my desks, and my donuts. Just leave it on the desk if you don't want it." And he put a donut on Scott's desk.
           
Now by this time, Steve had begun to slow down a little. He just stayed on the floor between sets because it took too much effort to be getting up and down. You could start to see a little perspiration coming out around his brow. Bro. Christianson started down the third row. Now the students were beginning to get a little angry.
           
Bro. Christianson asked Jenny, "Jenny, do you want a donut?"
           
Jenny said, "No."
           
Then Bro. Christianson asked Steve, "Steve, would you do ten pushups so Jenny can have a donut that she doesn't want?" Steve did ten, Jenny got a donut.
           
By now, the students were beginning to say "No" and there were all these uneaten donuts on the desks. Steve was having to really put forth a lot of effort to get these pushups done for each donut. There began to be a small pool of sweat on the floor beneath his face, his arms and brow were beginning to get red because of the physical effort involved. Bro. Christianson asked Robert to watch Steve to make sure he did ten pushups in a set because he couldn't bear to watch all of Steve's work for all of those uneaten donuts. So Robert began to watch Steve closely.
           
Bro. Christianson started down the fourth row.
           
During his class, however, some students had wandered in and sat along the heaters along the sides of the room. When Bro. Christianson realized this; he did a quick count and saw 34 students in the room. He started to worry if Steve would be able to make it.
           
Bro. Christianson went on to the next person and the next and the next. Near the end of that row, Steve was really having a rough time. He was taking a lot more time to complete each set.
           
Steve asked Bro. Christianson, "Do I have to make my nose touch on each one?"
           
Bro. Christianson thought for a moment, "Well, they're your pushups. You can do them any way that you want." And Bro. Christianson went on.
           
A few moments later, Jason came to the room and was about to come in when all the students yelled, "NO! Don't come in! Stay out!"
           
Jason didn't know what was going on. Steve picked up his head and said, "No, let him come."
           
Bro. Christianson said, "You realize that if Jason comes in you will have to do ten pushups for him."
           
Steve said, "Yes, let him come in."
           
Bro. Christianson said, "Okay, I'll let you get Jason's out of the way right now. Jason, do you want a donut?"
           
"Yes."
           
"Steve, will you do ten pushups so that Jason can have a donut?" Steve did ten pushups very slowly and with great effort. Jason, bewildered, was handed a donut and sat down.
           
Bro. Christianson finished the fourth row, then started on those seated on the heaters. Steve's arms were now shaking with each pushup in a struggle to lift himself against the force of gravity. Sweat was dropping off of his face and, by this time, there was not a dry eye in the room.
           
The very last two girls in the room were cheerleaders and very popular. Bro. Christianson went to Linda, the second to last, and asked, "Linda, do you want a doughnut?
           
Linda said, very sadly, "No, thank you."
           
Bro. Christianson asked Steve, "Steve, would you do ten pushups so that Linda can have a donut she doesn't want?"
           
Grunting from the effort, Steve did ten very slow pushups for Linda. Then Bro. Christianson turned to the last girl, Susan. "Susan, do you want a donut?"
           
Susan, with tears flowing down her face, asked, "Bro. Christianson, can I help him?"
           
Bro. Christianson, with tears of his own, said, "No, he has to do it alone, Steve, would you do ten pushups so Susan can have a donut?"
           
As Steve very slowly finished his last pushup, with the understanding that he had accomplished all that was required of him, having done 350 pushups, his arms buckled beneath him and he fell to the floor.
           
Brother Christianson turned to the room and said. "And so it was, that our Savior, Jesus Christ, plead to the Father, "Into thy hands I commend my spirit." With the understanding that He had done everything that was required of Him, he collapsed on the cross and died. And like some of those in this room, many of us leave the gift on the desk, uneaten."
Brothers and sisters that is exactly what our savior has done for us, He went through pain and agony without any help to atone for the sins of the entire world.  The atonement is there for all to use.  The choice is ours whether or not to use it in our lives.  And that is where missionaries come into the picture we sent to teach about repentance and the atonement to give the opportunity for all to be able to make that choice, the choice to eat the donut, or to leave it there uneaten. 
How will I know whether I am a successful missionary?

You can know you have been a successful missionary when you:

• Feel the Spirit testify to people through you.
• Love people and desire their salvation.
• Obey with exactness.
• Live so that you can receive and know how to follow the Spirit, who will show you where to go, what to do, and what to say.
• Develop Christlike attributes.
• Work effectively every day, do your very best to bring souls to Christ, and seek earnestly to learn and improve.
• Help build up the Church (the ward) wherever you are assigned to work.
• Warn people of the consequences of sin. Invite them to make and keep commitments.
• Teach and serve other missionaries.
• Go about doing good and serving people at every opportunity, whether or not they accept your message.

What is my purpose as a missionary?

Invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment